July 12, 2017
NOTICE OF FINDING OF NO SIGNIFICANT IMPACT AND
NOTICE OF INTENT TO REQUEST RELEASE OF FUNDS
This notice shall satisfy two separate but related procedural requirements for activities to be undertaken by the City of Monroe, Union County, North Carolina, a subrecipient for the Union County CDBG Entitlement Program.
REQUEST FOR RELEASE OF FUND
After July 30, 2017, Union County will submit a request to the HUD/Greensboro Field Office for the release Community Development Block Grant funds (CDBG) under Title I of the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974, as amended. Activities being conducted as part of the CDBG program for which funds are being requested are described below.
- Activities to be carried out include the sidewalk improvement project in the Concord Avenue Area Plan located along the west side of Concord Avenue between North Charlotte Avenue and Lomax Street, in the City of Monroe. This project requires the construction of pedestrian facilities (sidewalks). The project will consist of the finding missing links in the neighborhood sidewalk network. Providing handicapped access and pedestrian accessibility removing physical barriers. The project will be carried out as identified, in accordance with the budget, plans and specifications supplied to the City of Monroe. These activities are designed to carry out Community Development activities in the City of Monroe. This request for release of funds will cover the 2016 program year (FY 2016-2017).
CDBG 2016 $334,000
FINDING OF NO SIGNIFICANT IMPACT
The County has determined that the project will have no significant impact on the human environment. Therefore, an Environmental Impact Statement under the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 (NEPA) is not required. Additional project information is contained in the Environmental Review Record (ERR) on file at the County, County Manager’s Office, 500 North Main Street, Monroe, NC 28111 and may be examined or copied weekdays 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
Any individual, group, or agency disagreeing with this determination or wishing to comment on the project may submit written comments to the Union County, Michael James, Assistant to the County Manger, 500 North Main Street, Monroe, NC 28111. All comments received by July 30, 2017 will be considered by the County prior to authorizing submission of a request for release of funds. Comments should specify which Notice they are addressing.
RELEASE OF FUNDS
The County certifies to the HUD/Greensboro Field Office that Cynthia Coto in their capacity as County Manager consents to accept the jurisdiction of the Federal Courts if an action is brought to enforce responsibilities in relation to the environmental review process and that these responsibilities have been satisfied. The HUD/Greensboro Field Office’s approval of the certification satisfies its responsibilities under NEPA and related laws and authorities, and allows the Union County to use Program funds.
OBJECTIONS TO RELEASE OF FUNDS
The HUD/Greensboro Field Office will accept objections to its release of funds and the RE’s certification for a period of fifteen days following the anticipated submission date or its actual receipt of the request (whichever is later) only if they are on one of the following bases:
- the certification was not executed by the Certifying Officer of the Union County;
- the RE has omitted a step or failed to make a decision or finding required by HUD regulations at 24 CFR Part 58;
- the grant recipient has committed funds or incurred costs not authorized by 24 CFR Part 58 before approval of a release of funds by the HUD/Greensboro Field Office; or
- another Federal agency acting pursuant to 40 CFR Part 1504 has submitted a written finding that the project is unsatisfactory from the standpoint of environmental quality.
Objections must be prepared and submitted in accordance with the required procedures (24 CFR Part 58) and shall be addressed to: Lenwood E. Smith, II, PWS, Environmental Protection Specialist. US Dept. of HUD – Greensboro Field Office, Greensboro, NC 27407. Potential objectors should contact the HUD/Greensboro Field Office at 336-547-4002 to verify the actual last day of the objection period.