Centralina Area Agency on Aging strives to support and enhance the capacity of service and advocacy systems to promote independence, preserve dignity and advocate for the rights of older and disabled adultsand their families.
Who We Serve
Centralina Area Agency on Aging is located in Charlotte , North Carolina. We serve the 9 county region which includes Anson, Cabarrus, Gaston, Iredell, Lincoln, Mecklenburg, Rowan, Stanly & Union counties.
History of AAA in North Carolina
With the enactment of the Older Americans Act in 1965, Area Agencies on Aging were mandated in every state. In 1971, Governor Scott released an Administrative Directive placing Area Agencies on Aging as part of the local regional planning organization, Council of Governments. Centralina Area Agency on Aging is part of Centralina Council of Governments.
As one of the 16 Area Agencies on Aging in North Carolina our purposes are to:
- Advocate for improvement in aging programs, resources and long term care facilities.
- Plan and develop long range plans for Livable Senior- Friendly Communities.
- Develop and administer an area plan that is a comprehensive and coordinated system of service delivery in our area.
- Provide technical assistance to service providers, community agencies and interested others.
- Provide employment for seniors through the Title V Senior Community Service Employment Program.
- Provide a regional ombudsman program to resolve grievances and provide information about long term care facilities in our region.
- Coordinate, train for, fund and monitor evidence based Title IIID programs for health promotion and disease prevention.
Click here to see list of all AAAs in North Carolina.
The 2008- 2012 Area Plan
The 2008-2012 Area Plan on Aging is a four-year plan that covers the planning cycle from July 1, 2008 to June 30, 2012. The four-year planning period, with the opportunity for submitting annual amendments to the Area Plan, will allow the Area Agencies on Aging to focus their time and resources in the performance areas.The Area Plan incorporates the six performance areas that comprise the Performance Standards for Area Agencies in North Carolina these include: Management and Staffing; Planning; Funds Administration and Quality Assurance; Information Brokerage; Program, Resource and Systems Development; and Advocacy. To view the Centralina Area Agency on Aging Area Plan 2008-2012, click below.